[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon May 1 13:57:32 MST 2006

Anton wrote:
> The library as I understand is needed to avoid code
> duplication and centralization. As noticed in the numerous
> posts there are examples inside different asterisk modules
> where code is duplicated, since there is no library for
> needed functions. Either I do miss something or library is
> still a very good idea to consider.

If there is code duplicated, then that code should be moved into an API
call and live in the Asterisk binary itself. Whether it lives in the
binary or in a library makes no difference, it still reduces code
duplication.

The only possible benefit to having the code be in a library is so that
it could be used by modules that do not live in the Asterisk source
tree, but since they can't be _run_ without running the Asterisk binary
anyway, I don't see that there is much benefit of going through the work
to build a library. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and then bring
it up with the rest of the core developers, but the arguments will have
to be well-reasoned and very solid for anyone to consider accepting a
change like this.