[asterisk-dev] IAX internet draft (draft-guy-iax-00)

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Mar 6 12:26:59 MST 2006

Adrian Sietsma wrote:

>> Here's what happens for each frame:
>>
>> 1: OK, acked
>> 2: OK, acked
>> 4: this is out-of-order, ignored (vnak could be sent, but it doesn't
>> really matter)
>> 5: same as 4.
>> 3: This is OK, and gets acked.

>>> If that is so,then how do frames 4 & 5 ever get acked ?
>>

>> They would be retransmitted, because they are not acked the first
>> time they're sent, and eventually, the retransmits would be acked.
>>
> Ok, got it.
> This would imply that _all_ frames received subsequently would be
> ignored, until frame #4 re-arrives, and resets the sequence ?

That's correct.  That's how it works presently, and the way it would
have to work, unless the receiver stored out-of-order frames (which
would be a worthwhile optimization to make for the lossy link case, as
you note below).  I think that such an "out-of-order" reciever store
could be done without changing the specs, though -- as long as it
doesn't _act_ on frames out-of-order, it could probably defer processing
them until it got the missing frame.