[asterisk-dev] Radius CDR driver - please test

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Mar 4 06:12:09 MST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6639
>
> A radius CDR driver, based on the NetBSD-licensed radius client library.
>
> I know that the feelings about Radius are heated, but from a sales
> standpoint in the
> ISP market I believe Radius integration is important, regardless of
> my personal feelings
> about the protocol.

Yes. Most ISP billing systems are already capable of doing unit based
billing on Radius accounting records. I.E. we can easily bill per minute
or second. Many of the billing software vendors such as Tuwcos (Platypus
Billing System) have been extended to add some additional features for
VoIP.

> If you are interested in Radius integration, check this patch, test
> it and provide feedback.
>
> Philippe Sultan, the developer, is also working on a module that can
> handle Radius
> and LDAP authentication in several modules in a generic way, a
> res_auth module that
> can be integrated with chan_sip, chan_iax2 and other modules.

Now -THAT- is ALSO very cool, because it will allow us to authenticate SIP
peers in the same manner that we authenticate PPP and PPPoE users right
now. Same database!

> Again, if you don't like Radius, just delete this mail. It is not my
> intent to start another
> flame war on the benefits of Radius. :-)
>
> This module is also integrated into the test branch.

Excellent! Thanks for the notification on this..

                             KP-216-121-ST