[asterisk-dev] Routing data modem calls

Steven critch at basesys.com
Fri Jul 28 09:17:23 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 14:05 +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> (2) The other end (i.e. the bank or whatever) would also need to install
> serial-to-ethernet convertors, in addition to their existing modem bank.
> Then I would need to install a secure IP link into the bank or whatever,
> whereas at the moment all these calls just come in over the PSTN.

You need to really think about this. If security is of importance for
this then VoIP right now is not going to be an option. For ATM and
whatever bank related functions you want to deal with, you would be
better off doing SSL or other encrypted connections to the bank or
credit card processor.

For instance, a recent transaction with a motorcycle shop was done via
their online store and merchant account even though I was in their shop
because their swipe machine didn't work.

It shouldn't be difficult for a ATM vendor to put in a VPN connection to
their machine and have the same level of security as a private phone
line. This shouldn't be difficult as I have even seen newer jukeboxes
that connect and download new music via the internet.

It is easier to get upgraded hardware to take care of your needs without
needing to worry about the protocol.

This has been going on for a while as this press release would point
out.
http://www.encorenetworks.com/znm_prl_bisync.htm
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>