[asterisk-dev] Routing data modem calls

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Jul 28 13:43:51 MST 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:17:23AM -0500, Steven wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 14:05 +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> > (2) The other end (i.e. the bank or whatever) would also need to install
> > serial-to-ethernet convertors, in addition to their existing modem bank.
> > Then I would need to install a secure IP link into the bank or whatever,
> > whereas at the moment all these calls just come in over the PSTN.
>
> You need to really think about this. If security is of importance for
> this then VoIP right now is not going to be an option.

Actually, that's not a problem as the whole lot will be going over a private
IP network. Even the DSL connections are private (they are presented as L2TP
over a leased line interconnect to the data centre) - the public Internet is
not touched at all.

The application is to use this private IP cloud as a TDM replacement,
specifically so multiple phone calls can be multiplexed down a single DSL
line, with some data going on in the background at lower priority. Ideally
we want a generic solution that doesn't require specific product support for
each different end node we might be presented with.

> It shouldn't be difficult for a ATM vendor to put in a VPN connection to
> their machine and have the same level of security as a private phone
> line.

Longer term, I guess this is going to become the norm. But there's an
opportunity in the mean time to save a lot of money on PSTN rentals :-)

Regards,

Brian.