[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 or G.729A codec

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 10 12:48:56 MST 2006

Avin Patel wrote:

> I have checked the asterisk code, It looks like G.729 is NOT support, But
> G.729A is supported by Asterisk. Is this correct?

> Is G.729 & G.729A are different?

G.729 (no suffix) is not in widespread use. G.729A and G.729B/AB are;
the B suffix adds silence suppression and comfort noise generation.

Since Asterisk does not currently support VAD/silence suppression
properly, it only offers to support G.729A. The Digium G.729 codec
binary has the ability to support G.729AB as well, but it is currently
disabled since Asterisk cannot support it.