[Asterisk-Dev] When do we change manager version?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 5 12:16:53 MST 2006

Olle E Johansson wrote:

> Anyway, do you think we can change syntax *without* changing version
> number of manager or do you agree that we need to change version numbers
> and document differences in a README.managerversion?

If the change involves only _addition_ of new headers, there is no need
for a version number change, technically speaking.

The only time the version number needs to change is if the change is not
backwards compatible, and I'm hesitant to make small changes like that.
It would be much better to bundle up changes and make a version number
increase that incorporates all of them.

Additionally, we need to support the 'old' version for some period of
time if possible, at least for one release cycle.