[Asterisk-Dev] When do we change manager version?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jan 5 11:47:11 MST 2006

Russel and I have been discussing manager version numbers in the bug
tracker. There is a version number given when someone logs in. It has,
as I remember, never been changed.

Russel wants to change the syntax of a command. I agree with the change,
as my opinion is that we need to change *a lot* of the manager syntax to
clean up cases where one keyword is used for many different things.

Russel thinks it enough to change the README and then change syntax,
alerting users of the change.

My opinion is that if we change an existing and implemented action or
event, we need to change the version number. A small change - from 1.0
to 1.1. That way, clients have a way to change its parsing to reflect
the proper version.

At some point, we need to start manager 2.0, propably as a separate
optional module to keep backwards compatibility.

Anyway, do you think we can change syntax *without* changing version
number of manager or do you agree that we need to change version numbers
and document differences in a README.managerversion?

/O