[Asterisk-Dev] When do we change manager version?

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Thu Jan 5 12:59:25 MST 2006

Hi,

Olle E Johansson wrote:
> Anyway, do you think we can change syntax *without* changing version
> number of manager or do you agree that we need to change version numbers
> and document differences in a README.managerversion?

I'd say that when backward compatibility is broken the manager version
announcement should reflect that, so we can be sure of what's happening.
Lots of people depend on certain behaviour for their applications, so
they should at least be able to detect that things will be funky from
now on.

I'd even appreciate a way to maintain backward compatible behaviour for
a certain period of time to support a migration path for all dependant
applications. Your idea of running a second manager module (and a second
manager port) with the new syntax is a _really userfriendly_ approach.

Florian