[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

kpj at junghanns.net kpj at junghanns.net
Thu Jan 5 06:01:56 MST 2006

>>>* mISDN is not a patch to asterisk/zaptel
>>>

>>is that an advantage or a disadvantage?
>>

> in my opinion it is a disadvantage, because you need to follow the
> changes in zaptel/libpri always. So if something changes there, you'll
> need to adapt it everytime => small bri-stuff developer comunity

the changes to zaptel are minimal, just a few lines.
following the changes of libpri doesnt create too much work, since the
1.2.* version of libpri things have stabelized.

being a patch (which does break with significant changes in asterisk) is
an advantage if you are looking for a stable asterisk solution!
the average-joe user has to stick to a (stable) version to which the patch
applies and doesnt experiment with the very very latest latest CVS
version, runs into stability problems and complains about the unreliable
and unstable software pbx asterisk....

> anyway it fixes probably zaptel bugs which could be an advantage

both, bristuff and zaptel/libpri have some benefit from each other.
if some layer 3 problem occurs in libpri the fix will usually apply
for BRI and PRI.