[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jan 5 07:09:43 MST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:01:56PM +0100, kpj at junghanns.net wrote:

> >>is that an advantage or a disadvantage?
> >>

> > in my opinion it is a disadvantage, because you need to follow the
> > changes in zaptel/libpri always. So if something changes there, you'll
> > need to adapt it everytime => small bri-stuff developer comunity
>
> the changes to zaptel are minimal, just a few lines.
> following the changes of libpri doesnt create too much work, since the
> 1.2.* version of libpri things have stabelized.
>
> being a patch (which does break with significant changes in asterisk) is
> an advantage if you are looking for a stable asterisk solution!
> the average-joe user has to stick to a (stable) version to which the patch
> applies and doesnt experiment with the very very latest latest CVS
> version, runs into stability problems and complains about the unreliable
> and unstable software pbx asterisk....

It means that the average joe six-pbx can't also experiment with other
out-of-tree patches.

Nor can he (or a programmer he hired) interact with the developers who
normally fix bugs on HEAD and only later backport them to the stable
branch.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com