[asterisk-dev] Question (and offer) re autotools (autoconf/automake)

Charl Coetzee charl at tygus.com
Tue Feb 14 10:05:24 MST 2006

I am wondering if there are any particular opinions out there arguing
*against* using autotools for building Asterisk.  Any compelling reasons
to steer clear of it and stick to the current way of building? Also if
someone could enlighten me as to the history of trying to get autoconf
into Asterisk, that would be much appreciated.

I'm asking, because we're lately doing lots of cross-compiling of
Asterisk, and every new release takes quite a bit of patching to get
this tailored (especially after the Makefile changes from 1.0 to 1.2).

We're corporately considering "translating" the current Asterisk
makefiles to autotools, and  contributing this back to the community.
(In fact I already have tacit approval for this).

I've done a cursory google on this topic, and found a number of people
asking for it -- but only a few other references; i.e. back in 2000 when
the idea of incorporating autotools was welcomed, another at end 2003
when an initial integration with the then-CVS was offered. I am sort of
wondering where this has gone, and why, and if I'm missing something.

If there is a good reason *not* to do this, it would be good to have
this input up front...

Many thanks,

Charl