[asterisk-dev] Question (and offer) re autotools (autoconf/automake)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Feb 14 11:01:52 MST 2006

Charl Coetzee wrote:

> I've done a cursory google on this topic, and found a number of people
> asking for it -- but only a few other references; i.e. back in 2000 when
> the idea of incorporating autotools was welcomed, another at end 2003
> when an initial integration with the then-CVS was offered. I am sort of
> wondering where this has gone, and why, and if I'm missing something.
> If there is a good reason *not* to do this, it would be good to have
> this input up front...

There is already an initial autoconf script in a developer branch in our
Subversion repository; it will be merged shortly.

As far as moving to the rest of the autotools, there has been some
resistance in the past, but personally I'm for it... cross-platform
issues keep causing us grief (library/symbol handling, compile flags,
etc) so libtool could help us there. automake I'm not so sure about,
other than it allows for easier libtool integration :-)