[asterisk-dev] any decision on moving sounds/ outside asterisk/ tree ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat Feb 11 09:05:51 MST 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:26:07AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > there was some discussion some time ago about moving the sounds/
> > directory outside the main asterisk/ tree. Was a decision made ?
> > I think it would be a very useful move, especially considering
> > how much overhead that directory produces in handling
> > svn branches...
>
> Mark is very resistant to the idea... but I need to put together an
> actual demonstration of how it would work to appease his concerns.
> Basically, he's mostly concerned about people who do a checkout and then
> build/install without Internet access... and then don't have access to
> get the sounds.

why, there seems to be already a policy in effect that
if you are not running trunk across the board you are on
your own:

	http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6410

it's just a matter of adding one extra piece to the definition
of 'the board'.

In any case this would affect only first-time users, because
the install does not remove the existing directories (at
least, this is the case for modules/ so it would be trivial to
do the same for the installed sounds/ if it is not already
like this).
And for those users, the same way they have to know that
zaptel and libpri are "extremely useful" although not
strictly necessary, they will learn about sounds...

more practically, you could have a deprecation period during
which you keep the sounds in both asterisk/ and a new repository,
and you print a big warning message when you do a 'make' remembering
people to fetch the 'sounds' package as well (and maybe make sure
that 'update' does not reinstall the sounds if they are already
there; after all the modules/ directory is not cleaned either...)

After a while of this, you just remove the sounds/ subdir from
asterisk but leave the message.

cheers
luigi