[asterisk-dev] NFAS Implementation Spanning Multiple Servers

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Feb 2 19:31:22 MST 2006

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Kevin P. Fleming
	Sent: Thu 2/2/2006 8:28 PM
	To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
	Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] NFAS Implementation Spanning
Multiple Servers

	John Todd wrote:

	> Just thinking out loud here, but why couldn't this work with
some type
	> of modified TDMoE (*) driver setup that handles just the D
channels?
	> The system with the "primary" D channel would then be told
which
	> machines had which "trunk groups", and then messages for each
of those
	> systems would be split off using a single DS0 TDMoE connection
to each
	> of the respective platforms.

	This is the original idea that I had, which I shared with Matt a
few
	months back. I too agree that this would be a reasonable course
to take
	and not terribly difficult to implement, presuming that each
Q.931
	message that travels across the D-channel has adequate
information for
	it to be 'bridged' in this fashion.

	One concern is with this model is that if that 'main' Asterisk
instance
	was to stop operating, the entire NFAS group would become
	non-functional. My original idea was to still have the telco
provide one
	or two backup D-channels, and each Asterisk server would have
access to
	all of them via this bridging method, so each server sees a
primary and
	a backup (and maybe another backup) channel.

	> I don't know where the concept of "remotely registering
phones" would
	> factor into this, or "RTP" for that matter.  If you are using
the TDM/IP
	> boxes as SIP registrars and mixing things up, I think that is
a separate
	> problem that need not be addressed at all by the NFAS portion
of the
	> code.

	This is a separate issue that has come up during our discussions
	revolving around SS7 implementations, STPs, media gateways, etc.
I think
	this is a side issue, and that basic 'bridging' implementation
could be
	put together without too much headache. It's certainly not
trivial to
	do, but it could be done.

	Sorry, I am using OWA ;-)

	I would definitely go for the backup D channel idea.

	What kind of motivation would be needed to get this done in a
reasonable timeframe?  Money talks, BS walks.

	Steve Totaro