[asterisk-dev] Re: sip address in voicemail emails

Mark Price markprice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:57:54 MST 2006

Hi,

Item zero, Thanks for hosting and participating in this list, digium, and
all the developers involved.

First, I realize that my first post probably did not belong on
asterisk-dev.  I had intended to remove that address from my recipients
list, but did not
Secondly,  I figure that now that my neck is extended, I should write to
clarify one thing and correct another in my first email.

On 12/1/06, Mark Price <markprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am using asterisk 1.2.10.
> I am trying to send sip links in asterisk voicemail, so that users can
> easily reply to emails.
> This does not seem to be straightforward.
> First, there seems to be no variable that prints out the domain name of
> the sip call, since I am including every variable mentioned on
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+voicemail.conf

To clarify to myself, I made a call from a different sip domain from a
username that does not exist on the asterisk box, and found out that it is
true: VM_CIDNUM contains the username, but not the domain name of the call.
Therefore, as long as the username is a telephone number, we can work around
that, but the message printed to describe a non-telephone-number phone call
will be incorrect.

Second, if i include in the emailbody variable sip:${VM_CIDNUM}@mydomain (on
> the wrong assumption that the phone call was from a telephone number), gmail
> responds by assuming it is a mailto link, and outlook treats it as plain
> text.  Having examined the emails being sent in mutt, it appears that the
> message has no mime type (neither text nor text/html).

I thought I should point out I was incorrect.  The text portion of the email
is given mime-type "text."  Therefore it appears to be impossible to send a
sip link in the email unless the receiving email client knows how to
recognize them (as many know how to recognize http:// and mailto: links).

Thanks,
Mark Price