[asterisk-dev] Re: [asterisk-users] Re: sip address in voicemail emails

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Sat Dec 2 02:23:15 MST 2006

Am Freitag, den 01.12.2006, 17:57 -0500 schrieb Mark Price:
> Hi,

> On 12/1/06, Mark Price <markprice at gmail.com> wrote:
>         hi,
>
>         I am using asterisk 1.2.10.
>         I am trying to send sip links in asterisk voicemail, so that
>         users can easily reply to emails.
>         This does not seem to be straightforward.
>         First, there seems to be no variable that prints out the
>         domain name of the sip call, since I am including every
>         variable mentioned on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
>         +config+voicemail.conf

You might use your own notification script, s.t. you can send a

> To clarify to myself, I made a call from a different sip domain from a
> username that does not exist on the asterisk box, and found out that
> it is true: VM_CIDNUM contains the username, but not the domain name
> of the call.  Therefore, as long as the username is a telephone
> number, we can work around that, but the message printed to describe a
> non-telephone-number phone call will be incorrect.

Hi Mark,

I guess there are incoming "lines" that send callerid rather reliably -
PSTN will most probably send the correct number, if it sends one. OTOH,
if you accept incoming SIP connections from unauthenticated hosts, they
could basically send any "from" phone number they wish. Your dialplan
should probably take care of that, possibly by prepending the callerid
with some prefix ("X_" or whatever). Your notification script could make
use of that information to _not_ provide a "callback link" in that case.

Several programs allow for special protocol handling; which mail
client/internet browser you use will determine wether you can configure
it to hand off "sip:" URIs to the proper program (X-Lite, a CTI
prog...).

BR
Anselm