[asterisk-dev] RTP Packetization (bugid 5162)

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Aug 31 10:51:33 MST 2006

I've been looking at the remaining RTP-based channel drivers to see if
they
could be made to leverage this functionality (easily).  Two channel
drivers
have already been updated to use this feature, chan_sip and chan_ooh323.

A couple of 'requirements' need to be meet for this to be
practical/easy.
   1.  Use ast_parse_allow_disallow
   2.  Per endpoint configuration
   3.  Support for more than a single codec

Currently only chan_h323 meets this list, and it would likely require
additional changes to notify the OpenH323 stack of the desired framing.
Chan_jingle (and chan_gtalk, which is not in the version I have been
basing
this research on) appears to be a possible candidate, but I don't know
if
the common endpoints would support alternate packetization.

Chan_skinny and chan_mgcp do not meet any of the requirements.
Implimenting
the first one might not be too bad, but the remaining changes would need
a developer familiar with those technologies and endpoints to test with.

I'd be happy to make a pass at a patch to address these issues, but I
will
not be able to test the results.  If any of the developers familiar with
these channels are interested and can spare the cycles to test the
results,
please let me know