[asterisk-dev] Clarification of asterisk-addons (new subject)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Aug 30 12:10:56 MST 2006

----- Johansson Olle E <olle at voop.com> wrote:
> I think Kevin or Mark has to answer this, but I think that the -
> addons code is still disclaimed, but isn't compatible
> with the commercial licensing due to licenses in other Open Source
> packages. I don't think that addons contains
> code that is not disclaimed to Digium.

Generally speaking, code goes into Asterisk-Addons instead of Asterisk when it cannot be shipped commercially by us without requiring the end user to obtain a separate commercial license for dependencies of that code, or when there other licensing concerns related to commercial usage (patents, etc.)

So, as an example, while the MySQL connector modules are freely usable under the GPL by anyone using them with a GPL copy of Asterisk, users of commercially-licensed copies of Asterisk have to obtain a separate commercial license for MySQL as well. The same is true for chan_ooh323, because the Objective Systems H323 stack is licensed under the GPL or commercially, but not under any single license that is compatible with both.

However, code in Asterisk-Addons is still disclaimed, and must still not rely on any 'pure GPL' (GPL only) libraries, because it is still shipped and used commercially.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer