[asterisk-dev] app_queue member naming and AMI events

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Fri Aug 25 15:12:48 MST 2006

In our dialplan we use jabber to check the presence of the agent, and to
send a message for confirmation, and to send data to our application.
Because we are using local channels, the local/123 extension may call
agent a, b, or c depending on the type of data we have or get back from
the application.

I know that you can work around things by storing data in the astdb, but
for our scenario:

1) Agent logs in, application adds them into the queue with extension
number (local/xxx)
2) Application has also to then write to astdb specifying that xxx is
jabberid yyy
3) in the dialplan for agents, we have to search astdb for xxx
4) send the message to yyy.

If we could simply add the jabberid yyy as part of the add queue member
then we can skip out steps 2 and 3. The less dialplan we have to deal
with, the simpler the maintenance.

Oh, and then we also have to contend with the problems of data storage
- phone system segfaults - how do I know which values in the astdb are
valid or not ?

There's also a larger picture - perhaps in the not to distant future we
can get the queue itself to check the presence of the dynamic agents,
like a real-time paused flag, and not pass the call through.

As I mentioned, I know that there are many ways to skin a cat. We could
also write asterisk in assembler, but we don't.

Julian.