[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Apr 28 18:41:27 MST 2006

Let's give this a go...

On 4/28/06 9:33 PM, "Andrey S. Pankov" <casper at casper.org.ua> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Any comments on the fact?
> Will I still have access to the bugtracker?
> Shall I tell you all IP addresses I use for you to deny even
> anonymous access for me?

Of course you'll have access to the bug tracker. Just because a few of your
bugs were deleted does not mean you're going to lose access.

> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> We do show our appreciation for active contributors as much as we can;
>> we are always open to suggestions :-)
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2006-April/020252.html
>
> Do you really? Are you really open?

Yes, we are. Your suggestions though have to make sense and people have to
agree with them. It may not seem like it but we actually do discuss bugs in
realtime on IRC if it is brought up. A few of your bugs for example were
brought up and everyone made their point. Some of your patches were
accepted, some were not. It's the way it goes.

> Corydon is known to be particularly "active" in the negative sense on
> the bugtracker conflicting as much as he can.
>
> I know dozens of people who had conflicts with him Tilghman. Can you
> confirm it, Mr. Lesher?

Corydon may come across as negative but he is a very smart individual who is
looking out for the best for Asterisk. We all are.

> I really don't want that Asterisk become a project people would better
> ignore because of other "people behind the project" like it was with
> GnuGK (see lists.openh323.org for details) for example. But there is
> no way for Asterisk to nearly completely change the core development/
> support team like it was in the case of GnuGK. I'm really unsure about
> how long can survive an Asterisk based project (have you ever heard
> about Aefirion dead now it seems). Who we see behind OpenPBX project?
> They are people you used to see as active Asterisk contributor (in
> the past). Did you ever asked yourselves WHY they didn't contribute
> any more? They are tired... and you'll never know WHY. You can guess,
> but do you really want to crack your mind on such a negligible point?

I was part of the OpenPBX.org project for awhile, and still maintain ties to
them as I believe in the people behind projects, not just the project
itself. Part of the reason for the fork was some of the control over
Asterisk and the pace at which it moved. This has since changed and move
people have SVN commit access, in fact a lot more people so things are
moving quicker then they did. The fact that we can't use existing material
due to licensing was another reason.

While more people do have SVN commit access though, we are still having
problems with the bug tracker. As it is there are very few bug marshals left
to handle things. It's a HUGE job and while people make the best effort they
can, it's still futile because you get burned out so fast and it takes so
much of your time. Eventually everyone just needs a break and their
participation fades.

> Not that I do like OpenPBX fanaticism in removing copyright headers
> and renaming macros/functions... but I do remember people saying
> "let's merge this into OpenPBX for them to see it works" here on the
> list. I'd like to point the attention on that there is no way for
> Digium to "spy" on derived projects. All changes should be disclaimed.
> And changes made to a derived project are not disclamed anymore, even
> if they are the same people who contributed to Asterisk in the past.

This isn't true exactly, some people who contribute to OpenPBX.org do also
contribute back to Asterisk.

> For those intrested I'd like you to post your comments to
> solid-pbx-users at lists.berlios.de mailing list. You will not be ignored,
> trust me please...

I'm going to be honest with you, and everyone out there. The Asterisk
community is a very diverse group of people. We are all aiming for the same
thing though, to make Asterisk bigger and better. In order to do this we
must learn to cooperate, help each other and come to the realization that
while you may post a patch that seems perfectly logical and great - it may
not appear to others to be that way. By posting a bug you're opening
yourself up to others to come in and take a look and decide whether it is
really valid or not. If the answer is no, then you must learn to accept and
deal with that.