[asterisk-dev] app_directory realtime

Ken Ouellette kouellette at bluenotenetworks.com
Wed Apr 26 08:40:28 MST 2006

We're using the reatime voicemail configuration with ODBC. Everything
works fine, including directory listing. The problem we are encountering
is with scaling a large number of users. Currently, the realtime
interface in app_directory retrieves all users and then prompts the
caller for the first three letters of the last name.

There are two problems with this structure. First, the time it takes to
execute the retrieval can be an unacceptable delay if the database is
busy. Second, the entire result set of users is stored in memory, which
could result in an out of memory condition.

Is there any reason why the appropriate subset of users couldn't be
retrieved after the user was prompted? Given a reasonable distribution
in the first three letters of user's last names, this should result in a
much smaller result set being returned.

Thanks,

/kwo