[asterisk-dev] Multiple email addresses for voicemail notification

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Apr 24 08:51:22 MST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 06:07, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > Here's how to implement this with Postfix. I figure that for other
> > mail servers it is similarly simple:
> >
> > Add an extra aliases file (an extra entry in aliases_maps and
> > alias_databases) . The map can be a flat file hased using
> > postmap/newaliases or basically any standard database (ldap, mysql,
> > pgsql, etc.).
> >
> > Any mailbox is mapped to mbox_<mailboxnum>@localhost . Then your
> > config need only edit an aliases file of the sort:
> >
> > mbox_045 at localhost:  joe at example.com, joe.bloggs at example.com
> >
> > A lot saner to edit than the voicemail file. And it can reside
> > prctically anywhere in the filesystem.
>
> I'm afraid this is out of the question. Most of our customers are
> running sendmail, and are not going to be willing to change MTA just
> for this. They will expect our product to have the minimum impact on
> the system configuration possible. It also significantly complicates
> our automated installation and upgrade scripts.

Sendmail supports aliases, too.  See either /etc/mail/aliases or
/etc/aliases, depending upon your installation of sendmail.  Be sure to
run 'newaliases' after editing the file.  BTW, if you're using virtual
domains on your local machine, you'll want to address your email
aliases as:  foo at localhost.

At some point, we're going to change the format of the voicemail.conf
file to be a little more flexible, along the lines of:

[1001 at default]
secret => 1234
fullname => Joe Blow
email => joe at blow.com,joe_blow at example.com

This is probably going to wait until after 1.4 is branched.  However, it
makes the complication of this issue go away entirely.

--
Tilghman