[asterisk-dev] Multiple email addresses for voicemail notification

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Apr 24 03:13:45 MST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:44:18AM +0100, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> >On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 10:18 +0100, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> >>A very useful feature for us would be to allow users to set multiple
> >>email addresses in voicemail notification, and have emails sent to all
> >>of them. Looking at the code there doesn't seem to be a neat way to do
> >>this.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have a neat way, or does this need implemented? If it needs
> >>written, we're willing to do this and send in a patch.
> >
> >Use an email address in voicemail.conf that is actually an alias to the
> >email addresses you want to send the voicemail to. Would be nice to be
> >able to specify it in voicemail though so I would welcome a patch.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Patrick
>
> Patrick,
>
> Our product, ITSP, is for commercial VoIP providers selling to
> residential and SME customers. It uses Asterisk realtime for voicemail
> configuration. End customers configure their email address on the web
> interface. Asking our customers to tell their residential end customers
> to use aliases is not an option, I'm afraid.

Here's how to implement this with Postfix. I figure that for other mail
servers it is similarly simple:

Add an extra aliases file (an extra entry in aliases_maps and
alias_databases) . The map can be a flat file hased using
postmap/newaliases or basically any standard database (ldap, mysql,
pgsql, etc.).

Any mailbox is mapped to mbox_<mailboxnum>@localhost . Then your config
need only edit an aliases file of the sort:

mbox_045 at localhost:  joe at example.com, joe.bloggs at example.com

A lot saner to edit than the voicemail file. And it can reside
prctically anywhere in the filesystem.

> We'll get started on a patch. I'm thinking space separated for the email
> addresses in voicemail.conf, making a sample line:
>
> 1234 => 4567, Joe Bloggs, joe at example.com joe.bloggs at example.com

Now I wonder what scripts will be broken by this syntax. The most
obvious separater (,) can't be used. I figure that ';' or ':' are better
candidates.

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406