[asterisk-dev] Multiple email addresses for voicemail notification

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Mon Apr 24 04:07:48 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Here's how to implement this with Postfix. I figure that for other mail
> servers it is similarly simple:
>
> Add an extra aliases file (an extra entry in aliases_maps and
> alias_databases) . The map can be a flat file hased using
> postmap/newaliases or basically any standard database (ldap, mysql,
> pgsql, etc.).
>
> Any mailbox is mapped to mbox_<mailboxnum>@localhost . Then your config
> need only edit an aliases file of the sort:
>
> mbox_045 at localhost:  joe at example.com, joe.bloggs at example.com
>
> A lot saner to edit than the voicemail file. And it can reside
> prctically anywhere in the filesystem.

I'm afraid this is out of the question. Most of our customers are
running sendmail, and are not going to be willing to change MTA just for
this. They will expect our product to have the minimum impact on the
system configuration possible. It also significantly complicates our
automated installation and upgrade scripts.

>> We'll get started on a patch. I'm thinking space separated for the email
>> addresses in voicemail.conf, making a sample line:
>>
>> 1234 => 4567, Joe Bloggs, joe at example.com joe.bloggs at example.com
>
> Now I wonder what scripts will be broken by this syntax. The most
> obvious separater (,) can't be used. I figure that ';' or ':' are better
> candidates.

Either of these would be fine. We can have our web interface modify the
user's input before writing to the realtime database. Which would people
  prefer? : is the standard separator for Unix variable such as $PATH,
so this seems sensible. We can do both if desired.

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/