[asterisk-dev] New Feature request on Mantis requests your input (6753)

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Apr 5 10:49:17 MST 2006

Alexander Lopez wrote:

> This but was submitted by nsh, JoshNet suggested that it be posted on
> the list for input.
>
> Please review the request and comment back to the list as to not tie up
> Mantis.
>
> Summary of feature Request:
>
> "Allow modifying channel with effect
>
> I was needed to apply effect on asterisk channels. For example, modify
> voice pitch or modify speed and so on, apply fade or reverb.
>
>  I've wrote the attached patch. I think it's nice capability and would
> be happy to see that code included.
>
> Actually I am a newbie in asterisk architecture, probably that task
> should be solved differently, but I would be happy to update patch to
> make it perfect."

I did indeed. The idea that's been thrown around in the past were
"shims" so you could shimmy (ha ha) your own callback into the stream
between two channels and effect changes on the audio frames. You could
in theory do it by forcing all channels through a signed linear
translation path, and putting the shims in between there so that a
callback always gets signed linear and then the returned frame is the
one actually returned from the translator.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer
jcolp at digium.com