[asterisk-dev] New Feature request on Mantis requests your input (6753)

Nickolay V. Shmyrev nshmyrev at yandex.ru
Wed Apr 5 11:59:34 MST 2006

> I did indeed. The idea that's been thrown around in the past were
> "shims" so you could shimmy (ha ha) your own callback into the stream
> between two channels and effect changes on the audio frames. You could
> in theory do it by forcing all channels through a signed linear
> translation path, and putting the shims in between there so that a
> callback always gets signed linear and then the returned frame is the
> one actually returned from the translator.

First of all, I wouldn't put the requirement that shim should take
linear input. Stream can be customized inside.

Will there be shims with multiple inputs and outputs that will allow
channel splitting/collection?

Isn't shim a channel actually? I am afraid that additional entity will
complicate things, isn't it better to create channels that are able to
transform sound frames and connect those channels together instead of
using shims between channels. Gstreamer for example has pads that can be
connected according to input/output mime types. I think this model is
easier to program, understand and setup.