[asterisk-dev] chan_skinny fixes

North Antara north at ntbox.com
Mon Apr 3 12:01:57 MST 2006

> On 03/04/2006 at 10:06 Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>
>>Andy Powell wrote:
>>
>>>Since the DMCA only applies in the USA then it's not particularly
>>relavant to anyone
>>>other than Digium or US based contributors to the driver. AFAIK Sergio
>>isn't in the US
>>>so it simply does not apply.
>>

>>Which means he is stalling.
>>

>>Sergio, what is the hold up?  You said getting Disclaimers is REALLY
>> EASY.
>>
>>Jeremy McNamara
>

> I'm curious as to why you feel that there seems to be a requirement for
> him to do this?
> Surely it's up to him if he wants to...
>
> As a use of his channel driver I've been more than happy with it, and I'm
> more than happy for
> him to maintain it - especially as he seems to understand and apprecaite
> the importance of
> backward compatability as a priority, not an annoyance...
>

> Andy / ScaredyCat

When you have code in svn - you don't need backwards compatibility.  If
you want an old version, that's fine, you can check out a specific
revision of the entire tree.  There is a point where that becomes a
non-issue.  Of course, that isn't the issue at hand here.

One reason Jeremy (and myself) is (are) so frustrated, is because Sergio
says something that appears he would like to work with us, then pulls out
and comes up with another excuse of why he doesn't want to/can't.  We
spend our time trying to work with him, and he leads us on, only to
further disappoint us.  It's my opinion that if Sergio *really* cared
about Asterisk (and its users) (or even sccp in general), he would welcome
a collaboration of resources to make the driver better for everybody
(including ABE users), which makes me think it's more of a
monetary/donation issue than anything else - which would be a shame.

I personally have no problem with Sergio continuing chan_sccp, but he
needs to understand that eventually (with regards to Asterisk), it will
become irrelevant unless things change - which, frankly, would be far more
of a shame.