[Asterisk-Dev] CSTA interface comments

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Sep 28 11:51:04 MST 2005

I've recently started to get involved in proprietary controls for
existing PBX platforms, and I've run across a standard which may have
some interest to those of you on this list.  The CSTA (Computer
Supported Telecommunications Applications) seems to be very similar
to (depending on your views) the Manager Event interface, or AGI.
While I don't suggest that either of those two existing interfaces is
sub-standard, I would love to hear from anyone with more experience
with CSTA about why it is a better or worse protocol for interaction
with Asterisk.  It seems (again) that there is a standard that exists
for interfacing a PBX (or other telephony switching system) to
external applications on a different platform.  Perhaps even some of
the established applications support CSTA in enterprise environments
might be able to be linked to Asterisk quickly via this method (I
know that Envox http://www.envox.com/ uses CSTA - anyone else?)

While there is very little "real example" data in these documents,
the documentation is at least reasonable.  I'd love to see a human
(versus an ITU participant) explain how this actually works, and
provide a serial data exchange in a ladder diagram for a few examples.

A CSTA interface module might be useful for patching Asterisk into
existing platforms that use CSTA controls; places that Avaya, Nortel,
Siemens, and others now have exclusive domain.  A "swap-out" is a lot
more appealing than saying "You'll have to write a glue layer to
interface to this new system."

http://www.ecma-international.org/activities/Communications/TG11/cstaIII.htm
http://www.dragonnorth.com/tsapi/reference.html

JT