[Asterisk-Dev] Re: need help

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 13:53:07 MST 2005

In article <1127329976.1172.23.camel at localhost.localdomain>,
Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 13:47 -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > On Monday 19 September 2005 12:04, Brian K. West wrote:
> > > The users list is useless its about like the tits on a bore hog..
> > > USELESS!!! This -dev list isn't much better.  And don't get me started on
> > > the -biz list.
> >
> > I think you're dead wrong.  I've helped many people there, I've gotten many
> > soutions there, and I've even contributed to some flamewars there.  ... but
> > then again, so have you...  so why do you feel it's useless?
>
> While I can't comment on it's current state, when It became more time
> marking off threads I cared nothing about or flaming away at people who
> asked FAQ questions, I finally unsubed from it. It was too much time and
> effort wasted for too little gratification or information. So while I am
> sure some of my asterisk skills have suffered from no longer being
> thoroughly engrossed in it's development, I have been able to move on to
> other important projects that help move my company forward, or at the
> least, spend the previously wasted time out on my motorcycle chilling
> out.
>
> The -users list isn't worth having a stroke over the stupid questions.

And the effect is that when people ask sensible non-trivial questions,
there is no-one who can (or is willing to) answer them.

I try to take great care to post non-dev questions to -users, but some
of my recent questions there have gone completely unanswered:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-September/124706.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-September/124893.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-September/125574.html

So I can understand when people then come over to the -dev list because
they know that's the only place where the knowlegable folks hang out.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield