[Asterisk-Dev] High Availability again

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Sep 20 08:54:59 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:23 +0200, Sergio Serrano wrote:
> Hi again Srs.,
>
>     I go on think about a robust high availability system for
> Asterisk. After read some documentation and too much lists messages, I
> want to do High Avaibility with Linux-HA project and develope a
> ResourceType of Asterisk.
>
> In the monitor function I think put all in reference to SIP, IAX and
> Zap technologies a now the question is?
>
> ¿How can I confirm that SIP service, IAX services and PSTN lines are
> OK?
>
> In SIP Service and IAX Service, I can test sip and iax ports, and made
> a call to check service. But whith Zap Technology I have some doubt. I
> can check /proc/zaptel/*, do a zttest to see accuracy, but Anyone have
> any idea more about check that PSTN is OK?

With Zap, you have to question what exactly is a problem, and when a
failover switch is going to effect change. Also if you can even fail
over.

With a T1/E1 you can check for alarms on the line, that will tell you if
the link is down. You still may experience problems with making calls
even though your line is up.

You could potentially drop a .call file into the queue every now and
again to call a phone number on the asterisk machine and have it
recognize either the caller id or something similar and direct it to a
script that would register a completed call. This would avoid calling
out to a phone elsewhere and hopping you read the indications correctly.

For that matter, completing the SIP or IAX call to the zap lines and
back to the asterisk box checks full round trip and can test end to end
everything you so far requested.