[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-Users] MusicOnHold not working

Steven critch at basesys.com
Fri Sep 16 04:45:08 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 14:33 +0530, Gurminder Arora wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using asterisk 1.0.9 on FC3 box. mpg123 is not working it starts
> and stops immediately..
>
> printing -
>  -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on channel 'Zap/1-1'
>   -- Stopped music on hold on Zap/1-1
> Unknown option: --mono
>
> There is no such option defined in my musiconhold.conf file
>
> After searching through code:
>      I got --mono option defined in function
> spawn_mp3(struct mohclass *class)
> in file "res_musiconhold.c"
>
> After commenting that line message stopped but mpg123  still didn't
> responded nd I am trying to find.
>
> I am wondering if mpg123 doesnot support --mono option
> They why it is forced in asterisk Code?

There is a good chance you are having the standard new user problem of
using mpg321 instead of mpg123. mpg123 DOES support --mono. The mono
option is important to asterisk since asterisk does not support stereo
audio. If you took stereo audio and provided it to asterisk, asterisk
would see 2 samples where it expected 1 and therefore it would sound
like it had been slowed down to half it's speed.

Next time, DO NOT CROSS POST. This was still a -user question. Please
exercise restraint.
--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com