[Asterisk-Dev] ZyXel 2000W

John Matthews john.matthews at crossml.com
Thu Sep 1 06:39:41 MST 2005

I thought my experiences with the ZyXEL 2000W might be of interest to
anyone planning on buying one. After 2 days with the ZyXEL we returned
our as fault because of the following problems:

1)     1 in 20 calls there is no audio. Packet tracing reveals SIP
frames are the same as for calls with working audio. Asterisk is sending
RTP packets in correct format (ALAW) to correct port on phone. Phone
acts strangely on these calls because it never sends any RTP packets to
asterisk.

2)     Phone fails to upgrade to latest firmware revision WJ.00.11.
Download gets to stage where it says "Completed: 99%" on phone LCD. 5
mins later there is no change. Removal of battery required to reboot.
Phone still has original firmware (WJ.00.10).

3)     Poor features. No transfer button. Only 1 line. Unuseable
phonebook. Difficult to dial numbers. Sometimes you press a button and
its ignored (possible dodgy buttons). Very difficult to configure. Web
interface pitifully slow.

4)     ZyXel support unhelpful. Get automated response "Please enter
extension number of person you want to talk to" when you call their main
number in Taiwan. Get auto reply when you send them an email

John Matthews

CROSSML