[Asterisk-dev] goiax expanded with free us domestic calling

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sun Oct 2 12:02:18 MST 2005

On 2 Oct 2005, at 17:09, Matthew Simpson wrote:

> >> I launched www.goiax.com last week, which is intended to promote
> the >>use
> >> of IAX as a free and open source alternative to products like
> skype.
> >> There is no charge for the service.  Right now I have free
> outbound >>to
> >> united states toll-free and us domestic numbers working.
>
> >While I appreciate your efforts to evangelicize Asterisk (not that
> I am
> >anybody in particular), please... this post has *nothing* to do
> with >Asterisk
> >development at all.  Why did you post here?
>
> Uh... did you miss the last paragraph that talks about adding some
> IAX scalability features to * and asking for developer
> input?  :boggle:
>
> Just in case you did, here it is again:
>
> "I intend to also modify asterisk to allow some QoS checking to
> avoid the problems IaxTel had with scalability.  I would like some
> developer input on this.  My idea right now is to add an app to
> asterisk that listens on a port for a status packet that will be
> sent from a softphone or IAX-compatible device.  Asterisk would
> then reply with a packet that
> would contain current CPU load, current mem load, and number of
> channels
> up at that point.  I would also like to have the asterisk app know the
> status of other IAX servers on that "network" and be able to reply
> with
> the IP address of the "best" available server at that time."

I did read that. It is certainly do-able in the sense that you could
easily add that to Asterisk,
but I wasn't clear what the client would do with that info. Would it
de-register from the current
server (i.e. the one that sent the info packet) and re-register with
a new server?
Or is this a query that is sent before registration and used to
decide where to register.

I'm also not sure this belongs on this list - because you can do all
this outside asterisk with
tools like snmp - or even just some cgi scripts reading /proc .
You will find the asterisk developers are pretty resistant to adding
non-core stuff that
could be implemented outside asterisk.

I've very interested in how one could go about solving this class of
problem
and think the aim - in general - is well worth doing,
I'm just not convinced about the way you are planning to go about it.

One other thought, how hard would it be to make a DUNDI aware IAX
client ?

Tim.