[Asterisk-Dev] Patent lawyers?

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue May 31 20:42:21 MST 2005

Much of what Preston says is true.  Just like SCO threatened the end-users
of Linux instead of Linux companies, it is a shotgun attempt to try to wring
some money from their patent.  Poke somebody and see if they pay-up and then
go badger somebody else.

It is possible to have your attorney be in a different state from the state
they sue you in, your attorney can simply use local counsel for filings etc.
There may be additional expense involved in that route but it is worth it if
you have a good attorney.

They may discover they are trying to squeeze blood from a turnip and go
away, or they may have done their homework.

>From the few cases I have seen, the only people who really win in a lawsuit
that results in trial are the lawyers.  Rarely does either side get the
jackpot and a lawsuit can have a distracting affect on the business.  I'm
not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but personally I would do whatever
it takes to find an alternative to trial.

You may also want to look into arbitration, you can ask your lawyer about
that option.

Don't panic too much, it is possible for these things to drag out for years,
you may be able to change the technology underneath you before it has an
impact.

-Nate

Obviously: this in no way constitutes legal or professional advice or forms
any kind of client-attorney relationship.