[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk CPU usage 99% profiling problem

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue May 31 16:57:35 MST 2005

Andres Maduro wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was able to compile with DEBUG=-g -pg, in order to be able for * to load, I had to recompile without -O6 optimization.
>
>I ran for 2-3 minutes with an achieve a load of 99% with 4-5 simultaneous calls.
>
>When I did gprof asterisk it did not show any times although it showed the functions being called.
>
>It is my opinion that maybe the problem could be in the linear2alaw or alaw2linear code ?
>
>Please have a look at the output.  I do not know if this could help.  If you have suggestions in how I should perform this test to gather more data, please tell me...
>
>[root at asterisk1 sbin]# gprof asterisk
>Flat profile:
>
>Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
> no time accumulated
>
>  %   cumulative   self              self     total
> time   seconds   seconds    calls  Ts/call  Ts/call  name
>  0.00      0.00     0.00    65536     0.00     0.00  linear2alaw
>  0.00      0.00     0.00    65536     0.00     0.00  linear2ulaw
>  0.00      0.00     0.00      401     0.00     0.00  ast_all_zeros
>  0.00      0.00     0.00      256     0.00     0.00  alaw2linear

Unfortunately, I don't think your profiling worked actually..

I'd say you need to also recompile all your _modules_, especially
spandsp and libunicall, with profiling to get a better idea of what's
using CPU.

There's no way that 65K calls to linear2alaw would take anywhere near 2
minutes of CPU time..

-SteveK