[Asterisk-Dev] Dialplan syntax changes.. Option: work on a radically different design..

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed May 18 09:58:31 MST 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> > Also, question this: If we are going to move toward perl-ish language
> > for dialpan, do we need really dialplan? Would integrating, say,
> > perlagi with asterisk in a way mod_perl (as in, no overhead) is
> > integrated be able to replace dialplan altogether?
>
> We are not going to commit to changing the dialplan this radically until
> there is a working implementation.  Sorry, but I doubt most people want
> to break their existing systems simply because you want to force
> everybody into a new paradigm.
>
> To misquote a popular movie, "Show Me The Code!".
Obviously. However, whoever is going to be implementing new (C-ish or
perl-ish or whatever-ish) dialplan should think about bigger picture and
consider against reinventing the wheel.

And, obviously, we'll need perl (or whatever-the-new-language-is)
implementation of old dialplan syntax, so nobody gets left in the cold.

Unfortunately I don't have available cycles to do this ;(