[Asterisk-Dev] Manager proposal

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat May 7 11:09:36 MST 2005

On May 7, 2005 10:33 am, C. Maj wrote:
> I'm fairly ignorant about XMLRPC, but how do you push data
> to clients -- ie. manager Events ?

No, but you can do what I tend to do in "push" cases...  Either have the
request able to time out (think poll()) or do something where if nothing
interesting came back, wait.

e.g.

while(!done) {
 s=getstatus();
 switch(s) {
  case one: dosomething; break;
  case two: dosomething; break;
  case three: dosomething; break;
  default: sleep(5);
 }
}

Basically if something interesting came from the status request, deal with it
and immediately ask for more.  If nothing intersting came up, sleep for a
bit.

Works through NAT, doesn't break the client/server model and scales relatively
well, especially if you have that sleep do 5s+some random number of hundred
milliseconds.

-A.