[Asterisk-Dev] Manager proposal

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sat May 7 09:35:56 MST 2005

C. Maj wrote:

>On Fri, 6 May 2005, Brian West waxed:
>

>>I have done a nice proof of concept in the past few hours to test the
>>idea of an XMLRPC interface.  I did it using res_perl which allowed
>>me to prove it was a wise idea.
>>

>8<'s
>
>I'm fairly ignorant about XMLRPC, but how do you push data
>to clients -- ie. manager Events ?

Excellent point, in this case the roles are reversed, there are several
ways to achieve this:
- if NAT is not an issue, you can do one of these:
  - give Asterisk (through a config file) a static list of XMLRPC
servers to send events to
  - provide a function that allows a client to register itself as a
server to receive XMLRPC manager events
- if NAT is an issue, you can poll for events - Asterisk could keep them
in a FIFO for each client that has registered an interest

XMLRPC is a great technology, but it is not particularly lightweight