[Asterisk-Dev] app_dial Caller ID behavior

Nicolás Gudiño nicolas at house.com.ar
Fri Mar 25 16:13:09 MST 2005

> [* puts on flame suit just in case he's talking out his a** *]
>
> I think the explanation to this comes from what someone on the -dev
> conf call talked about regarding CallerID being dependent on *who* is
> asking.
>
> Basically, every bridged call has two legs... A and B.  If I'm A and
> my CallerID is "Joe Smoe <1234>" and I'm calling "Jane Doe <4321>" the
> CallerID for the A leg should be "Joe Smoe <1234>".  The CallerID for
> the B leg of should be "Jane Doe <4321>".
>
> Now the confusion arises from the fact that what most people want from
> CallerID is the CallerID of the *other* leg.  ie, A wants the CallerID
> of B and B wants the CallerID of A.  Basically the old way * worked
> was to _COPY_ the CallerID off of the A leg of the call to the B leg
> as B was being created, thus outbound CallerID was *set*.  The new way
> is that *you* as the PBX builder must use 'SetCallerID' for the
> outbound leg (B) to make the CallerID show up correctly, because only
> *you* know what the CallerID should be for that leg.

The problem I faced when the change went into 1.0.5 and HEAD was that
the manager interface was forgotten. I understand that the callerid for
a channel should be their own, always. It was bad to change the callerid
when bridging a call, ok. But, the manager was not taken into account,
and there was (or still is, I have to check) no way to know the callerid
of the other leg before the call is bridged. So, any manager based
application broke. You cannot do screen pops with manager based
applications, unless you like to see your own callerid again and again.
It is essencial to know the callerid before you pick up the call. But
there was no event in the manager to extract that information before the
bridge. Maybe Mark fixed that, I don't remember, its friday night and I
won't check that till monday. Have a nice weekend.

--
Nicolás Gudiño
.