[Asterisk-Dev] app_dial Caller ID behavior

Chris Wade clwade at sparco.com
Fri Mar 25 12:38:09 MST 2005

Matthew Simpson wrote:
>> For those just tuning in, there was a change a couple months ago to
>> make the Caller ID of the outbound leg of the call the destination
>> extension instead of the Caller ID that was on the inbound leg of the
>> call
>

> Why would anyone want to do this ?  I don't understand ?

[* puts on flame suit just in case he's talking out his a** *]

I think the explanation to this comes from what someone on the -dev conf
call talked about regarding CallerID being dependent on *who* is asking.

Basically, every bridged call has two legs... A and B.  If I'm A and my
CallerID is "Joe Smoe <1234>" and I'm calling "Jane Doe <4321>" the
CallerID for the A leg should be "Joe Smoe <1234>".  The CallerID for
the B leg of should be "Jane Doe <4321>".

Now the confusion arises from the fact that what most people want from
CallerID is the CallerID of the *other* leg.  ie, A wants the CallerID
of B and B wants the CallerID of A.  Basically the old way * worked was
to _COPY_ the CallerID off of the A leg of the call to the B leg as B
was being created, thus outbound CallerID was *set*.  The new way is
that *you* as the PBX builder must use 'SetCallerID' for the outbound
leg (B) to make the CallerID show up correctly, because only *you* know
what the CallerID should be for that leg.

In the end, I - for one - actually agree with the new way, it just
needed to have been discussed, planned for, and agreed upon *WAY* before
it went in.  The new way simply makes more sense as it doesn't _fudge_
the CallerID across the bridge like the old way did.

There's my $0.02US.  (refundable if any information in this email is
incorrect :)

-Chris