[Asterisk-Dev] outbound RFC2833 broken - use inband instead?

Jerris, Michael MI mjerris at ofllc.com
Thu Jun 23 11:14:18 MST 2005

From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Bryan
Field-Elliot
After working diligently with techs from two separate ATA manufacturers,
we're pretty convinced that the process of sending RFC2833 DTMF digits
outbound, from Asterisk to an ATA, is broken.

Note that I'm not saying that the code in Asterisk --
ast_rtp_senddigit() -- is necessarily broken. We have one vendor
claiming it is, and another saying that they don't handle inbound
RFC2833 well in the first place.

What I'd really like, is to apply a patch so that, instead of calling
ast_rtp_senddigit, we instead generate and send an inband DTMF tone (for
a duration of, say, 250ms).

Why not set the ATA to use info, and asterisk to inband, it should have
the same affect.