[Asterisk-Dev] gnu-tls

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 7 16:23:38 MST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:21:59AM +1200, Derek Smithies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>

> > > As for license issues, there have been many discussed over the years in
> > > various projects. They mostly revolve around para 6 of the LGPL.
> > >
> > > As a simple example, para 6 clause b) requires that any derived work
> > > that uses the library that is not itself GPL-compatible must use a
> > > "shared library mechanism" in order to use the code.
> > >
> > > While this is fine for a fully open source project, what about if
> > > someone wants to create a commercial version of Asterisk (using an
> > > appropriate license from Digium) on a platform that does not have shared
> > > libraries? Tough luck - you can't do it.
> >
> > I'm not sure everybody agree with you here:
> > http://uclibc.org/FAQ.html#licensing
> Yep.
>  More evidence of the statement I made in a previous email.
> Even us computer experts disagree on the correct interpretation of the
> LGPL. What will the courts decide ?

Some more data for you confused folks:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2004-August/001745.html

So far I have not found any opposing viewes in a random search.

>    Further, this will compile real fast - the woomerea/openh323
> combination is compiled just once, and runs as a separate h323 daemon.

"opeh323" and "compile real fast" in the same sentense? That's funny.
I'll try one of my own:

  An alternative to the openh323-based asterisk channels is
	chan_ooh323c, as the whole ooh323c compile resl fast and does not
	suffer from silly licensing issues (IMHO).

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com