[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Wed Jan 26 17:48:45 MST 2005

>and being a smart-ass about this is helping exactly how?  If you want to
>quit
>and you've got the CLI up, use the damned CLI command for it.  It's far too

>easy to hit ^C even by accident.  ^A^C in screen calls up another console.

>Now either half-hit the A or miss it altogether.  Or you're ssh'd in from a

>windows machine and you accidentally hit ^C to copy instead of just
>highlighting.  Or you meant to paste content in and wanted to hit ^V, again

>forgetting you're in a console instead of a regular windows (or even KDE)
>app.
>
>Are you seeing my point yet, or would you like to continue being the
>smartass?

No, I don't see the point at all. You start it with -c, this is what you
get. Very simple. Who's starting with -c except for quick debugging runs
anyways?

>^C is a really shitty way to stop a "daemon with a command line interface"
>as
>Tlighman put it.

No, it's a very convenient way to quick Asterisk.

>> What I'm saying is that I only run Asterisk with -c (I.E. without a
>> running instance and -r) when I'm debugging something or starting up
>> asterisk for the first few times.  After that I run it with
safe_asterisk.

>That's you.  I've never in my life used safe_asteirsk, and that's me.  And

So your init.d script starts Asterisk with -c? Interesting.

>> While I'm running it in foreground mode, I want to be able to drop out
>> quickly.  STOP NOW is 9 characters (including enter).  ^C is two.
>
>Point taken, although like I said I think yours is a very fringe case, what

I think anyone who has written and debugged apps or modules in Asterisk
wouldn't think it a fringe case. It's very useful. And again, this isn't
harming anyone.

-Michael