[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jan 26 17:13:13 MST 2005

On January 26, 2005 06:26 pm, Matt Riddell wrote:
> I get the feeling that maybe it would be easier for you if it popped up
> a nice ncurses window saying "You've said you want to quit.  I think I
> know better than you and surely you didn't really mean to quit.  How
> about we go back to the console.  If you really did want to quit you
> should really type STOP GRACEFULLY".

Don't be silly.  Ncurses is overkill.

> In fact wouldn't it be better if we just removed the quitting
> functionality altogether?  I mean, do we really want people accidentally
> type "STOP GRACEFULLY"?  It would be safer if it was just running all
> the time.  Maybe we should just have a RESTART NOW command, and the
> people who really know what they're doing can "kill" it...

and being a smart-ass about this is helping exactly how?  If you want to quit
and you've got the CLI up, use the damned CLI command for it.  It's far too
easy to hit ^C even by accident.  ^A^C in screen calls up another console.
Now either half-hit the A or miss it altogether.  Or you're ssh'd in from a
windows machine and you accidentally hit ^C to copy instead of just
highlighting.  Or you meant to paste content in and wanted to hit ^V, again
forgetting you're in a console instead of a regular windows (or even KDE)
app.

Are you seeing my point yet, or would you like to continue being the smartass?

> Not to name any names, but its just as bad as those applications that
> make you type the words "I agree" to accept the licensing agreement.  Do
> they think the extra effort I have to go to to do what I want will mean
> I will make even more effort to go and read their licensing agreement
> every time I install the latest version?  Quite the contrary.

This has nothing to do with clickthrough licensing nor nanny-fying Asterisk.
^C is a really shitty way to stop a "daemon with a command line interface" as
Tlighman put it.

> What I'm saying is that I only run Asterisk with -c (I.E. without a
> running instance and -r) when I'm debugging something or starting up
> asterisk for the first few times.  After that I run it with safe_asterisk.

That's you.  I've never in my life used safe_asteirsk, and that's me.  And I
again defy you to find a unix application with an interactive shell that
quits with ^C, more and less being excepted since they are not what I'd
consider interactive shells.

> While I'm running it in foreground mode, I want to be able to drop out
> quickly.  STOP NOW is 9 characters (including enter).  ^C is two.

Point taken, although like I said I think yours is a very fringe case, what
with up-arrow pulling up the last command and all.  :-)

-A.