[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Wed Jan 26 16:26:44 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On January 26, 2005 04:18 pm, Matt Riddell wrote:
>
>>I just want to add my .02, I *HATE* programs that ask me if I'm sure
>>about what I'm doing.  If I do something, it's because I want to, if I
>>did the wrong thing, I'll learn pretty quickly.
>
> For the record I agree with you in a general sense, but not here.  We're not
> saying that ^C is the proper way to exit, we're saying that ^C emits a "use
> STOP NOW to exit" similar to how the QUIT command works.

I get the feeling that maybe it would be easier for you if it popped up
a nice ncurses window saying "You've said you want to quit.  I think I
know better than you and surely you didn't really mean to quit.  How
about we go back to the console.  If you really did want to quit you
should really type STOP GRACEFULLY".

In fact wouldn't it be better if we just removed the quitting
functionality altogether?  I mean, do we really want people accidentally
type "STOP GRACEFULLY"?  It would be safer if it was just running all
the time.  Maybe we should just have a RESTART NOW command, and the
people who really know what they're doing can "kill" it...

Not to name any names, but its just as bad as those applications that
make you type the words "I agree" to accept the licensing agreement.  Do
they think the extra effort I have to go to to do what I want will mean
I will make even more effort to go and read their licensing agreement
every time I install the latest version?  Quite the contrary.

>>If Asterisk was patched so that it said "that's not a nice way to exit",
>>I'd be writing my own patch straight away to remove it.
>
> So you're saying you run asterisk -c regularly and exit with ^C?

What I'm saying is that I only run Asterisk with -c (I.E. without a
running instance and -r) when I'm debugging something or starting up
asterisk for the first few times.  After that I run it with safe_asterisk.

While I'm running it in foreground mode, I want to be able to drop out
quickly.  STOP NOW is 9 characters (including enter).  ^C is two.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell