[Asterisk-Dev] Implementing Community voice mail using Asterisk

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Wed Jan 19 20:08:53 MST 2005

Most of what you want to do is already in Asterisk, right out of the
box. Including voicemail->email.

I also recommend VoicePulse's Connect service for (US) inbound calls and
VoipJet for outbound.
(VoicePulse is fine for outbound, but VoipJet is cheaper and has
excellent quality.)

I would suggest leaving the Email->Voicemail integration until after you
have a working system,
since (AFAIK) no one has coded this for Asterisk yet. Although, it
should not be difficult to do.
(I can provide you with a design, if you'd like.)

You'll want to use MySQL for the voicemail and SIP databases:

http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20voicemail%20database

http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+sip+mysql+peers

I run my development asterisk server on an old PII 400, as does Brian.
I'm never short of CPU power.

The only case I've found for hardware is for a timing source for MeetMe
conferencing. (I wasn't able immediately able to get the ztdummy driver
to work, so I got a $10 voice modem and used that instead.)

What kind of application do you want to code for Asterisk? It seems the
only coding you'll need to do is a (web) interface for user
administration. Most of the other functions you need can already be
handled in the extensions.conf file.

Please let me know how this project goes.

cheers,
glenn