[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at dayark.com
Fri Jan 7 13:01:41 MST 2005

> As a sidenote, and this is not meant as criticism since it's neither
> my business nor do I really care, but of all open source projects
> I've been following through the years, and I may say it's been quite
> alot, I've never experienced so much talking about money as it happens

Like I said in a reply to Andrew K, however, Asterisk was released by
Mark to encourage the purchase of Digium hardware. It's open-source in
license, but the entire "industry" surrounding it is based on telecom
consulting and contracting. Other projects like MySQL are actually
commercial, supported products with a "free" open-source license
provided. The "true" open-source projects, those with no commercial
aspect involved, are actually few and far between...even SuSE, Mono and
Ximian are all rolled up under the Novell banner now. People do have to
eat. ;)

Greg