[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 7 12:40:42 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:11 -0500, Gregory Junker wrote:

> Follow Mark's model: if you are not interested in answering someone's
> question in a courteous manner, then simply don't. "DTFG" and "RTFM" and
> non-directed pointers to arbitrary Wiki pages (or even worse, to the
> Wiki home page), and especially, "read the f***ing source code", do not
> fall under "courteous reply".

Greg

as an asterisk newbie, I'd like to support your view, especially your
remark about either answering politely or not at all. Nobody is
required to answer 'noise' mails if he/she doesn't like to. Actually,
if nobody does I'm pretty sure the noise level will eventually drop.

As a sidenote, and this is not meant as criticism since it's neither
my business nor do I really care, but of all open source projects
I've been following through the years, and I may say it's been quite
alot, I've never experienced so much talking about money as it happens
on the asterisk lists. While I welcome a successful OS project as
much as anybody else, I still have a feeling that this one attracts a
special breed of people who, basically, smell profits.

As said, this is not meant as a complaint to which I have no right nor
reason anyway, but rather as an encouragement for those people who still
try to maintain an open, educated and welcoming culture in this maybe a
little tense environment.

Regards, Bruno.