[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri Jan 7 10:04:27 MST 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 11:12 am, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > > So the purpose should be clearly deliniated, and then an eval of how it
> > > is not being accomplished, or is being threatend can be done.
> > >
> > > The concern I have is that people are aware of and even if they
> > > disagree or are too lazy, they KNOW the rules of the list.
> >
> > Perhaps you are on to something.  Maybe an actual moderation process
> > isn't required, just a link which clearly lists the rules and
> > "regulations" of the list.  The link could be placed in the footer.
> >
> > > So I think that ensuring their awareness of the list rules is the thing
> > > to pursue. I think ensuring the rules are in plain view to be read
> > > before subscribing and sending a message after subscribing of the rules
> > > is enough.
>
> Why moderate when one can automate?
>
> What if....
> - each new list member is emailed a somewhat abbreviated list of do's
>   and don'ts and references (to how-to, faq, wiki, etc) as the initial
>   result of successfully subscribing.
> - automate the list server to send an email back to the poster if
>   html is detected
> - and maybe some sort of automated reply to the first x postings from
>   new subscribers again reminding them of available references, resources
>   and examples.
> - a monthly reminder (like many many other lists) to all list members
>   as to how to unsubscribe, new references, etc.
>
> Just a thought....

I think this is a good supplement to the list. It should probably be part of
most lists out there. One trick to get it read is to include some sort of
update. Maybe a summary of the last months changes in CVS.

That would get my attention... and be well worth knowing.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin